At Norske Skog Golbey, the automatisation trend also took advantage of the trend. How did this affect the operation of the company?
The paper mill purchased a total of 12 automatic fork-lifts for handling paper reels. It was an investment of EUR 5 million. After successful launch to production, we could see that the automation process provided many benefits not only to the employees, but also to customers. What has improved?
- Higher safety level for warehouse workers – handling heavy paper reels was taken over by the fork-lift trucks.
- No damage when handling the reels – thanks to the machines, human error rate was minimised.
- Non-stop operation – these fork-lift trucks can work 24/7 and never get tired.
Decision which has already paid off
The fact that automatisation has already paid off to the paper mill is evident also due to the fact that there are only 13 employees working in the logistics department, taking care of the storage and dispatching of 550,000 tonnes of paper per year. 14 trains and 65 trucks are dispatched from the paper mill on a daily basis.
The Norske Skog Golbey paper mill is also very particular about other parts of the logistics chain:
- 95% of trucks fulfil the E6 standard, currently the strictest European standard with respect to emissions
- 35% of shipment is realised via railway
- Waste paper is shipped by gas-operated trucks
- Maximum usage of the reverse loading option – trucks transporting production raw materials transport the produced paper back to the end customers